Biology Instructor (One or More Positions)
Kern Community College DistrictPosition Number:
12/17/2018Initial Screening Date:
02/04/2019Open Until Filled:
Contract AcademicRate: Work Week: Minimum Salary:
$68,871.28 annuallyMaximum Salary:
$127,686.62 annually ($90,367.30 maximum entry level)Benefits:
The Kern Community College District provides a maximum contribution to an excellent health and welfare benefits plan. The District also provides life insurance plans for the employee, as well as an 16.28% contribution to the State Teachers Retirement plan. Additional types of insurance may be purchased with pre-tax dollars through an IRS
125 flexible benefit program.College/Site:
BC-Main CampusBasic Function:
Bakersfield College is seeking dedicated, experienced, and motivated individuals to provide leadership, engagement, and discipline expertise in continuing to move the program forward in innovative ways. As a full time faculty member at Bakersfield College, successful candidates will demonstrate commitment to student success through teaching and learning excellence.
The successful candidate will be expected to provide instruction in a full range of Biology courses.
This assignment may include teaching courses at various locations, different times, and with different modalities. Bakersfield College offers college courses in the greater Bakersfield area, rural communities, correctional facilities and high schools using the following modalities: traditional, face-to-face, online and interactive broadcasts.
Other duties include: participation in student recruitment and articulation, transfer programs; maintaining subject matter currency; developing and revising curriculum; using computer and technology; assessment of learning outcomes; collegial participation in departmental, college and discipline-specific professional activities.
Education and Experience:
Masters in any biological science;
-Bachelors in any biological science;
- Masters in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or Marine Science;
- The equivalent. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may be judged as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for these positions. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications must request and submit an APPLICATION FOR EQUIVALENCE form. Supporting documents must be included with the completed form;
- A demonstrated sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities. Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service. Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview. Knowledge and Abilities:KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate that they are broadly prepared and have a depth of knowledge in the discipline. In addition, the successful applicant will be able to demonstrate the following knowledge and abilities:
-Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues in an environment that promotes innovation, teaching, learning and service to diverse student population;
-Ability to effectively work with students with a wide range of skills, motivations, academic and vocational goals;
-Ability to develop curriculum, including curriculum delivered via different modalities;
-Ability to participate in recruitment and articulation activities with local schools, colleges and universities;
-Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
-Ability to maintain subject matter currency;
-Ability to assess student, program, and institutional learning outcomes;
-Knowledge of computers and willingness to adopt new technologies that support student success. Knowledge of and commitment to the California Community College mission.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:Salary Grade:
-Ability to provide leadership in program and college initiatives.
-Ability and willingness to participate effectively in college committee work and in co curricular and extra-curricular activities that support students and the college.
This is a ten-month (175-day) faculty positionSpecial Instructions to Applicants:First Review of Applications: Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on February 4, 2019 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.Completed application packet must include:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Statement of personal philosophy of teaching
- Copies of legible transcripts
- List of six (6) professional references Listed on application form
- Copy of sample syllabi
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
Recruitment Status (tentative):
- Application Screening: TBD
- Interviews: TBD
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/11044. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency