|Apply Show Printable Job|
Director of Athletics and Student Athlete Success
Director of Athletics and Student Athlete Success
State Center Community College District
Campus Location: Reedley College
Start Date: 01/10/2018
Reedley College is seeking a dynamic leader to assume the role of Director of Athletics and Student Athlete Success. This full-time position reports to the Vice President of Student Services and is responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating the operations of the men's and women's intercollegiate athletic program and initiatives to support student athlete success and retention. The Director will have a strong commitment to the academic and personal development of all student athletes and carry out impactful programs to empower student athletes. The Director will cultivate and enhance relationships both on campus and in the community to support and represent the Department of Athletics. This position will include assignments at off-campus sites, days, evenings, or weekends and must be available at all times for situations that arise in athletics. Performs other duties as assigned or necessary in the management of collegiate athletics.
- In collaboration with the area administrator, plans, organizes and provides overall coordination for the intercollegiate athletic program ensuring a cycle of continuous quality improvement.
- Represents the college at local, regional and state meetings, including but not limited to, all California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) Athletic Director meetings and conferences (Central Valley, Big Eight, NCFA conferences).
- Works closely with the Dean of Instruction to schedule teaching assignments, identify room assignments for athletic courses, and monitor enrollment.
- Works directly with faculty and staff to support efforts in the development and maintenance of academic programs, curriculum, and schedules within the athletic, health and physical education departments.
- Coordinates all activities related to game management, scheduling of all athletic events including the preparation of facilities, equipment, officials, game personnel, and post-game clean-up activities. Ensure that season sport schedules are prepared according to appropriate guidelines.
- Investigates complaints and athletic allegations and coordinates with the Vice President of Student Services and/or Dean and/or President on outcomes and corrective action.
Supervision/Training of Staff
- Directly supervises the coaches and all staff and volunteers involved in athletic programs such as athletic trainers, athletic equipment manager, Student Athlete Retention Program Coordinator and athletic department office assistant.
- Conducts coaching orientations and regular meetings and training to promote and ensure strict adherence to conference and state athletic rules, regulations, and codes.
- Participates in the selection and hiring of the coaches, support staff, athletic trainers, student workers and makes recommendations. Ensures substitutes are engaged when faculty, staff or coaches are absent. Performs evaluations of all athletic coaches and staff according to established college procedures.
Student Athletic Success
- Develops materials for distribution to incoming students. Works with coaches and other staff to ensure student athletes complete appropriate matriculation steps; develop and update the coaches and student athlete handbooks; coordinates student athlete orientations and other events.
- Provides oversight of the Student Athlete Retention Program (SARP) and associated personnel. Work with coaches to ensure student-athlete engagement in learning services offered within SARP and across campus.
- Works closely with Dean of Students, counselors, SARP Coordinator, and coaches to assess and monitor student athlete academic progress and completion of educational goals; work with Director of Institutional Research to assess student athlete achievement and success.
- Works closely with Student Services departments including Residence Hall Supervisor, where applicable, to ensure that the needs of student athletes as it relates to admissions and records, financial aid, student activities, counseling and other support services are provided in an equitable manner.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with the guidelines established by the District including board policies and regulations, the California Education Code, California Community College Athletic Association (CCAAA) and National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) as well as regional, local, and sport-specific policies and rules and regulations. Responsible for the intercollegiate athletic programs compliance and interpretation of Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act (EADA) and Title IX objectives.
- Implements policies and procedures with respect to state and local legislation and athletic eligibility rules.
- Ensures all CCCAA eligibility, decorum, recruiting and game management annual trainings for all full/part-time faculty and staff associated with the intercollegiate athletic programs are conducted.
- Completes all athletic compliance and eligibility reports to ensure full compliance with federal and state guidelines.
- In conjunction with the area administrator, develops and manages athletic department budgets and expenditures, monitors and approves requisitions, check requests, transportation requests, and participates in the college's budget request process to achieve maximum efficiency in the utilization of resources.
- Ensures appropriate and equitable distribution of funds and use of facilities between men's and women's sports.
- Develops resources from internal and external sources, including initiating, coordinating, and supporting fundraising efforts to secure additional funding for facilities and sports teams.
- Works with Equipment Manager on purchase of supplies and equipment, ensures correct processing of requisitions.
- Supervises the use, maintenance, and security of supplies, equipment, and facilities.
Public Relations and Student Athlete Recruitment
- Works closely with coaches in student athlete recruiting activities.
- In collaboration with the College President, Public Information Office and the Office of College Relations, develops and implements a coordinated outreach, marketing, and public relations process and plan for the athletics.
- Works closely with the college webmaster in developing, implementing and maintaining a significant presence on the college website.
Program Planning and Evaluation
- Ensures the successful completion of the Athletic Department's Program Review, the assessment of Student Learning Outcomes to improve student learning, annual reports, action plans, and other college required reports.
- Provides leadership over the development and implementation of an Athletic Department strategic plan.
- An earned masters degree from an accredited college or university; AND
- One year of formal training, internship, or leadership experience reasonably related to the administrators administrative assignment; OR
- Possession of a valid California Community College Supervisory Credential.
All candidates must have demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to inclusion and diversity including but not limited to differences in ethnicity, national origin, race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification and abilities.
- Understanding of the dynamics and trends in intercollegiate athletics in general and California Community College Athletics in particular.
- Prior intercollegiate athletic leadership including supervision of coaching and professional staff.
- Athletic recruiting experience.
- Fundraising experience.
- Extent of involvement in community organizations and activities.
- Successful high school/community college/university level coaching experience.
- Knowledge of safety issues related to physical education, competitive sports, equipment and facilities.
- Excellent organizational, administrative, financial management, oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of the colleges missions and goals.
- Ability to contribute to the institutions vitality and growth.
- Ability to direct and supervise the work of others and to maintain effective and cooperative working relationships.
Conditions of Employment:
224 duty days and 22 vacation days for a total of 246 days.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary range is $104,906 $132,196 based on education and experience. A doctoral stipend of $2,021 is available. In addition, the District offers an attractive fringe benefit package including medical, dental, and vision coverage for the employee and dependents, and life insurance. Employees are also members of the California State Teachers Retirement System (CalSTRS).
Applications will be screened to determine which applicants meet the minimum qualifications as stated in the job announcement.From the applicants who submit all the required documents and who meet the qualifications, a selection advisory committee will determine the candidates who are best qualified based on the minimum and desirable qualifications. They will be invited to interview.The selection advisory committee will rate responses to the interview questions. Based on this rating, a small number of applicants will be selected as the recommended candidates. These candidates will be forwarded to the President for final interviews. A hiring recommendation will be made by the President and forwarded to the Board of Trustees of State Center Community College District for final approval.State Center Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. It is our pledge to treat all applicants fairly and equitably in the recruitment and selection process. We endeavor to be a service minded organization and respond, as best we can, to the needs of our applicants and the faculty and administrators we work with in the District.For more information, contact the Human Resources Office, 1525 E. Weldon Avenue, Fresno, California, 93704, (559) 244-5900. For information on Reedley College or State Center Community College District, visit our website at www.scccd.edu. Please refer to Position No. 3702.Submission of application and related materials is the applicants responsibility and must be submitted through the districts online applicant portal. The District reserves the right to re-advertise or to delay indefinitely the filling of a position if it is deemed that the applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate applicant pool or if funding is not available. All application materials are subject to verification. False statements may be cause for disqualification or discharge from employment.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: www.scccd.edu
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
|Apply Show Printable Job|