This posting cannot receive an online application from your Community College Jobs Now account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
|Show Printable Job|
Program Coordinator & Asst Prof of Surgical Tech
Overview of position: Summary of position's responsibilities
- Provide leadership in ensuring, through faculty evaluation, that instructional quality is being maintained and that program standards are followed.
- Provide leadership in the development and evaluation of assessment testing and placement in your program, if required.
- Provide leadership to develop and/or deliver lecture content on a variety of Surgical Technology topics. Revise curricula to reflect the hospital industry's expectations for entry level practitioners.
- Develop, and when necessary, revise existing curriculum to reflect currency in the Surgical Technology accreditation standards.
- Provide lab and/or clinical instruction for Surgical Technology; leadership in preparing program course schedules for fall, spring, and summer sessions, online and other delivery formats.
- With the program faculty, procure clinical placement for students, and evaluate the effectiveness of the same to ensure successful student outcomes.
- Assist in maintaining appropriate inventory of surgical supplies for laboratory instruction.
- Responsible for organization, administration, continuous review, planning, development, and general effectiveness of clinical experiences for students enrolled in the Surgical Technology Program.
- Plan and implement retention strategies to increase enrollment in the Surgical Technology program.
- Coordinate with the Associate Dean teaching assignments for full-time and adjunct faculty for their program; and, assist Associate Dean with the recruitment, hiring, training, and mentoring of full-time and adjunct faculty within your program.
- Participate in required faculty and department meetings, as well as meetings of college committees and Advisory Board of the program.
- Prepare annual accreditation documentation and other reports
- Perform other additional duties as agreed by the Associate Dean.
- Based on Master Syllabus, design and teach assigned class session(s), leveraging digital content and multi-media resources in the classroom.
- Assess student engagement/understanding during each class session.
- Collect, grade, and report assignments and homework.
- Assess and monitor student progress and understanding throughout the course.
- Remediate student's lack of prerequisite knowledge.
- Offer content help through various means Select course materials as they reflect the Master Syllabus;
- Place the syllabus, readings and homework on Canvass.
- Maintain and update the syllabus and course materials.
- Set up online courses when relevant.
- Create new digital instruction materials.
- Exhibit a spirit of inquiry about teaching and learning, student development, and evaluation methods.
- Use evidence-based resources to improve and support teaching.
- Develop an area of expertise in the academic arena.
- Share teaching expertise with colleagues and others.
- Demonstrate integrity as a scholar.
- Provide required office hours.
- Effectively communicate with students via e-mail, phone or online discussion boards.
- Provide academic advice and guidance to students.
- Submit grades, on time, via the faculty portal.
- Manage incompletes and make-ups.
- Occasionally instruct Independent Study students for purpose of graduation.
- Identify individual learning styles and unique needs of students who are culturally diverse, traditional vs. non-traditional, at-risk (e.g., educationally disadvantaged, learning and/or physically challenged, social and economic issues).
- Advise learners in ways to help them meet their educational goals.
- Create a learning environment that facilitates self-reflection and personal goal setting.
- Foster the development of learners in these areas: cognitive, psychomotor, affective, and creative.
- Adapt teaching styles and interpersonal interactions to facilitate learning behaviors.
- Assist learners to engage in thoughtful and constructive self and peer evaluation.
- Encourage professional and personal development of learners.
- Provide input for the development of department standards and policies.
- Use a variety of strategies to assess and evaluate learning.
- Incorporate current research in assessment and evaluation practices.
- Use existing evaluation tools for assessing educational outcomes.
- Evaluate available resources for learner assessment and evaluation practices.
- Actively participate in all M&E.
- Analyze all M&E data.
- Advise learners regarding assessment and evaluation.
- Provide timely, thoughtful and constructive feedback to learners.
Curriculum Design and Development
- Actively participate in the design of the curriculum to reflect institutional philosophy and mission, current trends and best practices, community and societal needs, educational principles, theory and research, and use of technology.
- Demonstrate knowledge of curriculum development including: identifying program outcomes, developing competency standards, writing course objectives, selecting appropriate learning activities, selecting appropriate clinical experiences, and selecting appropriate evaluation strategies.
- Assist in revision of the curriculum based on evaluation of program outcomes, learner needs, societal and health care trends and stakeholder's feedback.
- Update courses to reflect the philosophical and theoretical framework of the curriculum.
- Design courses to reflect the philosophical and theoretical framework of the curriculum.
- Create and maintain community partnerships that support the educational goals.
- Evaluate educational goal attainment through community partnerships.
- Implement program assessment models.
- Analyze results of program evaluation and initiate curricular change when needed.
- Critique the program evaluation methods and plan.
- Maintain membership in professional organizations.
- Participate actively in professional organizations through committee work and/or leadership roles.
- Demonstrate a commitment to life-long learning.
- Participate in professional development that increase effectiveness in the role.
- Use feedback gained from self, peers, learners and administrative evaluation to improve role effectiveness.
- Acquire knowledge of legal and ethical issues relevant to higher education.
- Mentor and support faculty colleagues.
- Model cultural sensitivity when advocating for change.
- Create a culture for positive change and growth.
- Develop leadership skills in others to shape and implement growth, change and positivity.
- Perform related duties as required
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of group dynamics and classroom student behavior;
- Knowledge of classroom testing and measurements and curriculum design;
- Knowledge of a variety of teaching techniques;
- Ability to teach in a classroom lab setting;
- Ability to assess educational needs and develop lesson plans;
- Ability to interpret test data and use various methods of test construction;
- Ability to set educational goals and to define specific objectives
This position typically works indoors in a standard classroom/lab environment, generally free from hazardous or unpleasant physical conditions. Work involves observance of safety precautions typical of modern classroom/lab settings. The work environment is highly diverse and demands a high level of cultural competence in interpersonal communications and interactions.
The work entails sitting and standing for extended periods, frequent walking, bending, stooping and reaching. Work requires eye-hand coordination, manual dexterity, near vision acuity, and the ability to see and read printed material and computer screens. Duties involve oral, written, electronic and telephonic communication; typing; and lifting and transporting supplies, materials and equipment.
- Bachelor's degree in Healthcare or related field
- Minimum total of five (5) years of experience, either in the operating room scrub role or as an instructor in surgical technology, or a combination of both, within the past ten (10) years
- Certification as a Certified Surgical Technologist by the Association for Surgical Technologist
- Master's degree in Healthcare, Education or related field preferred
- Previous teaching experience is highly desirable;
- Experience with curriculum development, using instructional technology, and distance learning is preferred.
To apply please click here!
|Show Printable Job|