|Apply Show Printable Job|
TEMPORARY Veterans Services Specialist
TEMPORARY Veterans Services Specialist
Salary: $24.08 - $29.61 Hourly
Location: Madera Community College, CA
Job Type: Temporary
Division: MCC Student Services
Job Number: 202200345-T
Under general supervision, assists with planning and implementing the college Veterans Services program and assists with operation of the Veterans Resource Center; acts as a School Certifying Official (SCO) and processes and certifies student applications for Veterans Administration educational benefits in accordance with legal guidelines; monitors student progress and processes appropriate documents for the payment of veterans benefits; provides technical assistance and provides access to veterans and student services resources to students, staff and the public; assists with monitoring program compliance with federal, state and District codes, rules and regulations; and performs related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Provides input in selecting, training and providing day-to-day lead work guidance and direction to other program staff, tutors and student aides; assigns, schedules and monitors work for completeness, accuracy and conformance with District, department and legal/regulatory requirements and standards; monitors workflow to ensure mandated deadlines are being met in an optimal manner; provides information, instruction and training on work procedures and technical, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Provides input to supervisor on employee work performance and behaviors; assists in ensuring a fair, open and inclusive work environment in accordance with the District's mission, goals and values.
- Facilitates day-to-day operation of the Veterans Resource Center; oversees and participates in front-desk coverage, explains and screens veterans and their dependents for a variety of programs and services; meets with students to discuss VA educational benefits; assists students in accessing student and community services such as attending events and workshops, tutoring and academic support, counseling appointments, career research, accessing mental health resources, housing and financial assistance.
- Screens student needs for Counselors and schedules student counseling appointments; independently performs research for Counselors and other faculty on specific student issues and resolves routine issues.
- Acts as School Certifying Official (SCO) in accordance with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs School Certifying Official Handbook; reviews student files and documentation and determines eligibility for appropriate VA educational program benefits and provides necessary forms; consults with VA officials and other certifying officials for clarification and assistance with complex problems.
- Monitors student enrollment to ensure compliance with the educational plan developed by the Veterans Counselor to avoid under/over payment and institutional liability; processes and signs student enrollment certifications, unit changes and enrollment verifications; monitors student schedule changes, tracks student ongoing eligibility for benefits and notifies students regarding changes in benefit status; processes VA documents/forms related to educational benefits in District and VA systems.
- Runs a variety of reports and audits student grades, attendance and academic status; adjusts student data and certifications in appropriate systems, following established procedures in making on coding that impacts student benefits and student success measures; prepares and sends correspondence for students regarding VA eligibility, student status and other information; assists students with resolving VA payment problems; researches data, posts and clears holds on student records; initiates student petitions to waive enrollment fees; processes advance pay requests.
- Maintains student VA records in accordance with VA regulations and audit records to ensure accuracy; responds to requests from other educational institutions/agencies for the verification of student status and records; ensures proper releases are on file to safeguard student privacy; responds to subpoenas and public records requests following established guidelines.
- Assists with conducting studies and analyses to identify program enhancements and/or new veterans programs and support services and to evaluate the effectiveness of current programs; prepares files for auditors; generates reports for District, state and federal agencies; prepares for review and submits statistical records and reports; assists in data collection for program audits.
- Coordinates logistics for major events, including liaison with event participants, vendors and sponsors; works with other campus departments and facilities; orders food, materials and supplies; troubleshoots onsite, proactively resolving issues.
- Reviews, submits and tracks requests for payments and purchase orders in accordance with District policies and procedures; reviews travel and conference expense forms; calculates budget usage and fund percentages; prepares budget variance reports and spending forecasts for management review; tracks multiple funding sources; may participate in grant administration functions including basic grant writing, collecting program data and generating performance reports.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of historically minoritized groups and participates in professional development activities to increase cultural competency to enhance equity-minded practices within the District.
- Coordinates and participates in Veterans Resource Center workshops; prepares and produces promotional materials including flyers, invitations, programs and publications; updates and maintains department or program website and social media accounts.
- Maintains and purchases inventory and supplies.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Employment Standards / Minimum Qualifications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Expert knowledge of U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs School Certifying Official Handbook and federal and state regulations applicable to education benefits for eligible veterans.
- Modern office practices, procedures and equipment including advanced knowledge of computers and applicable software programs.
- General principles, practices and techniques used in customer service, public relations and community outreach.
- Veterans Resource Center services, program goals, objectives, policies, procedures and practices.
- College course prerequisites and matriculation policies.
- District student recordkeeping practices and procedures for processing student information and interpreting input and output data.
- District payroll and general accounting system operations, practices and procedures.
- College and District organization, rules, policies and procedures applicable to departmental and division operations.
- Practices and techniques of sound business communication; correct English usage, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- District policies, procedures and rules regarding budgeting, purchasing and travel/training and expense reporting.
- Applicable sections of the California Education Code.
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and other District, state and federal laws, rules, regulations and policies governing student records.
- Safety policies and work practices applicable to the work being performed.
- Basic principles and practices of employee work guidance and direction.
- Personnel Commission Rules, Board Policies, Administrative Regulations, Human Resources procedures and collective bargaining agreements.
- Uses and operations of scanners, phone systems, computers, standard business software, and database and spreadsheet applications.
- Assign and review the work of assigned staff.
- Apply and explain laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures regarding student VA benefits.
- Communicate information accurately and effectively; understand requests for information or assistance; maintain a courteous and tactful manner when under pressure or in an antagonistic situation.
- Assist in planning and implementing programs and activities in the Veterans Resource Center.
- Screen for and schedule counseling appointments.
- Analyze problems, evaluate alternatives and recommend or adopt effective courses of action in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Set priorities and exercise sound judgment within areas of responsibility.
- Track and report statistical information utilizing complex spreadsheets and databases.
- Understand, interpret, explain and apply applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality of District and student files and records.
- Effectively engage and support historically minoritized groups by addressing issues of equity and improving culturally responsive service-oriented practices.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Operate a computer and use standard business software.
- Represent the District effectively one on one and in a variety of group settings.
- Exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex and confidential student issues and situations.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all those encountered in the course of work.
An associate degree and one year of closely related work experience in financial aid; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Experience with VA educational benefits is preferred
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
A valid California driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the District's vehicle insurance program may be required in some assignments.
Must obtain and maintain School Certifying Official certification.
Completion of Mental Health Awareness training is highly desirable.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to sit; talk or hear, in person and by telephone; use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office equipment; and reach with hands and arms. Employees are frequently required to walk and stand and stand for long periods at a time; and lift up to 10 pounds and occasionally up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve problems; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or skills; perform highly detailed work; work on multiple, concurrent tasks; work with frequent interruptions; work under intensive deadlines; and interact with District managers, staff, the public and others encountered in the course of work.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employees work under typical office conditions subject to frequent public contact and interruption; and intermittent exposure to individuals acting in a disagreeable fashion.
The employee may be required to travel to locations other than assigned work site and to adjust to work schedule changes and requirements to work overtime.
Only the most qualified applicants will be invited to interview for the assignment.
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/scccd/jobs/3796366/temporary-veterans-services-specialist
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-ccb4d50ef400a547a95bba4f13dc89fb
|Apply Show Printable Job|